If you pass away without a will (known as “intestate”), the State of Minnesota will decide who is in charge of your affairs, who should receive your assets and when they should receive your assets through a process known as probate. In short, your affairs may be managed by people you would not have wanted, your assets given to people you may not have wanted to receive them, and in amounts and a manner which you may not have wanted.